Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe
Founded in the first half of the 16th century, this church was originally a simple construction, with no windows and with only stone seats, built into the walls. Thanks to its age, it has borne witness to much of Teguise’s long history of looting, arson and violence. Having been consolidated with three naves since the 18th century, it was once again set fire to in 1909, and promptly rebuilt thanks to public donations.
In 1914, bishop Ángel Marquina Corrales blessed the church. In its last intervention, another section was added to the tower, thus making it the tallest architectural element in Teguise and the religious centrepiece of the island of Lanzarote. The granite elements (holy water stoup, font, pulpit and part of the choir) were made by the local artist Juan Hernández Pérez, whilst the altarpieces and the canopy of the pulpit are the work of Eugenio Bañasco. This is Lanzarote’s principal church which, over time, has been bestowed with an ecclesiastical heritage which is without a doubt the most important on the island and one of the most important in the entire region.